Providence Event Calendar
Wednesday, Mar. 21 - Choir practice tonight
Thursday, Mar. 22 - Ladies Bible Study at 9:30 AM
- Rooted Meeting at 7 PM
Sunday, Mar. 25 - Palm Sunday Worship - 9:30 AM
- Sunday School for all ages - 11:10 AM
- Officer Training class at 4 PM
- Evening Service at 6 PM
Friday, Mar. 30 - Good Friday Vespers Service at 7 PM
Sunday, April 1 - Easter Sunday Morning Worship - 9:30 AM
- NO Sunday school
- NO Evening Service
Sunday, April 22 - Parish Groups meet
Saturday, May 5 - Women in the Church brunch
July 16-20 - Vacation Bible School
You can also find the “official” calendar on the Providence Church web site.
Good Friday & Easter — We will hold our traditional Good Friday service on March 30, at 7 PM. There will be no Sunday school classes and no evening service on Easter Sunday, April, 1. This is so everyone can celebrate with one’s family and friends. We encourage you all to check with others in the congregation to make sure everyone has a place to feast that day.
Distribution of Palms — As is our Palm Sunday tradition, this Sunday our children in the Age 2 to Grade 1 classes will distribute palms to the congregation at the beginning of Sunday School, in the sanctuary, accompanied with singing by Grades 2-6. Please note:
• Ages 2 through Grade 6 should go straight to their music classes after
the morning service to prepare.
• Everyone else should assemble in the sanctuary at 11:10 (or a few minutes
• After the Palms Distribution, everyone will go to normal classes.
Ladies Bible Study — Continues tomorrow, Thursday, 9:30 AM at church. Pastor Meyers will continue our study through Genesis. We are talking about Genesis 18-19 tomorrow. You are invited to join with us at any time for the teaching, discussion, and fellowship. Child care is provided. Please contact Kathy Hoegemann if you need child care.
2017 Contribution Statements — Please be sure to pick up your 2017 contribution statement (for tax purposes) available on the book table in the narthex.
Vacation Bible School 2018 — Mark your calendars for the most amazing, incredible, crazy-fun VBS this year. It’s all happening July 16-20.
Adult Sunday School Class — This Sunday we continue our adult Sunday school class focusing on the creeds and confessions of the church. We are using Justin Holcomb’s book Know the Creeds and Councils It’s not too expensive ($10) and it’s very readable. We will only have a few copies left on the book table. This week Pastor Meyers will talk about the first and foundational Lutheran Confession – The Augsburg Confession (AD 1530).
Missionary Update & Prayer — This update arrived on March 9:
Yes, the finish line is in sight. The container is at the Burundi Customs Port!
From Georgette, "Finally, Miss Tacoma is arrivée in Bujumbura port. Praise to God. The children and Board are in thanksgiving and prayer for all people who were involved in making the container miracle happen. Even though there have been many obstacles on the way, God continues to show that nothing will stop His work in Burundi. I am convinced that He will be known as Lord and Savior by this amazing work at this very special time."
There are still a few hurdles to overcome before the container contents get released to Georgette. There are other hurdles to jump once Georgette gets to unload that 40 foot, filled-to-the-gills container.
1. JUSTICE. That the container contents get released to Georgette without any more wait or fees.
2. WISDOM. That Georgette and her team would be efficient and fair in the dispensation of the contents.
3. GRATITUDE. That the recipients would return thanks to the LORD as the source these gifts.
4. CONTENTMENT. That envy, bitterness, strife, and greed would have no foothold among the recipients or those who learn that they are not among those receiving assistance.
5. HOPE. That Burundi, because they are returning to the Lord and His ways, would again become a land of peace and the virtual "breadbasket" of West Africa.
In Christ's love,
Brookie with Georgette
Bookkeeper Position Open — We are looking for someone to fill the part-time position of church bookkeeper/financial secretary (2-5 hours per week). The bookkeeper shall:
• track using Quickbooks all financial transactions
• prepare and analyze monthly financial statements
• pay approved bills and invoices
• prepare monthly budget statements
• prepare employee tax documents
• prepare annual report of giving for all churchgoers
• provide annual budget recommendations for the following years’ budget
A good candidate shall:
• Have experience with Quickbooks
• Be able to work closely with the church treasurer and diaconal representatives
• Be competent with Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheets
• Have excellent attention to detail
• Be discrete with private information regarding church giving and other financial data
Contact Numbers — You can reach the church secretary, Jennifer Vermeer, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or her phone (208-899-9123). Make sure you get your announcements to her by Wednesday evening each week to ensure they get into the Sunday bulletin. You can reach Pastor Meyers at email@example.com or his phone (314-374-5258).
Facebook & Website — Check out our Facebook page for links to interesting articles and other information. Our church website is providencestlouis.com. You can find sermon files and the directory there in the “members only” section. If you’d like the password to that section, please contact Pastor Meyers (and you don’t need to be a member to get the password, just a regular attender).
The Week’s Scripture Passage — Ecclesiastes 7:14
In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him.
– Pastor Jeff Meyers